Tuesday 30 November 2010

A rib tickling scarf!

Another few days of learning something new-ish and producing yet another scarf as a way of practising.

I decided to have a go at rib stitch. When casting on, you need to cast on a number of stitches that can be divided by 4. I casted on 28 stitches. For rib stitch you knit 2 stitches and then purl 2 stitches and keep repeating this until you reach the end of the row. When coming back the other way, you again knit 2 and purl 2. this creates a ribbed effect on both sides of the scarf.

When you finish with your ball of yarn or want to change colours, I used the same method as with my other scarves. What's great about the rib stitch is that when you do change colour you don't see the knit stitch, it appears seamless, as you would see with one side of the stockinette stitch. It's only if you stretch the item that you can see the knit stitch.

It's taken me a good few days to complete this scarf. I've discovered I'm a tight knitter, so as the scarves I've made are worn more, they'll stretch, making them longer. Even to me at the moment all the ones I've made feel quite short.

I've now invested in a wool needle to weave in those ends, which made it slightly easier. I've got some more projects coming up which involve learning to knit on circular needles and learning to use double pointed needles. I'm planning on making some baby hats and blankets for friends of mine that are pregnant. The hats are knitted on double pointed needles and the blanket because of the size will be knitted on the circular needles.

I'll be posting again when I'm shown how to knit "on the round".

Here is a picture of the ribbed scarf I made.

No comments:

Post a Comment